Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A rude awakening…


In the spirit of the 12 week challenge, I took a deep breath and faced down the scale. I knew it would be bad but I had no idea what the scale would actually say. Needless to say it was not pretty. 274. Ouch. So no time like the present to do something about it. It is amazing how one can delude themselves into thinking that “sure I’ve put on a few pounds” but to see that number on the scale, a number I have not seen in a very long time. It was wake up and smell the coffee time. Now I must admit I am having some troubles adjusting to the changes and I find myself eating stuff and then going, “what are you doing… back away from the doughnut.”

So my DH was listening to me lament after the journey to the scale, and I commented that I had put on some weight, to which he replied, “yeah, I can tell.” When are they going to open a school for men on how not to make silly mistakes like that, and learn the proper things to say like “Wow I hadn’t noticed.” Or “That scale must be broken” . For any of you entrepreneurs out there, you have your first client, let me know when Sally’s School for Stupid Men is taking registrations.

So I will weigh again on Thursday which is really when I will get started (a little disparity between the healthy food in my fridge and the negative balance in my bank account.) But I am making little changes this week, not as much snacking, one helping, trying not to eat after supper, drinking more water. Yadda Yadda Yadda. Having some accountability will help. Having some groceries will also help.

A shout out to my baby brother who turned 31 yesterday. Yeah for you. I love you turtle. You are the best brother and Uncle a girl and her babies could have. When I talked to Brother Bean last night he seemed a bit low. He had work and school yesterday and no one to make a fuss over him. But if you are reading this Bro know that you are loved and we can’t wait to see you on the weekend. All you single girls living in the GTA who are looking for a fellow who has one of them fancy government jobs, is working on his Masters and loves Sci-Fi and Horror and is handsome and kind let me know, Brother Bean may be your man.

That’s all I got for now. I am going back to contemplating how many hours of exercise it is going to take to burn off that handful of jujubes I just ate. Why is it so hard to remember that I am trying to eat better. Mental block perhaps.

Bean – lover of all things sweet – and yes that does include you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Hi Bean!
I'm proud of you for facing up to the number on the scale. It's not going to get any lower by ignoring it - believe me, I've tried!! :)

Don't let yourself be overwhelmed. Just take it one day at a time, one little change at a time. It all adds up to a healthier bean!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Rabbit said...

Man, I wish we lived closer together. We could so help each other out right now. Of course, being pregnant is not a time to diet per se, however I do have to watch myself and start eating healthier. I have total faith that you can do it. Like I said before once you make up your mind there is no stopping you. Alsoi remember that the number on the scale is not the whole picture. It is but one measure. How you feel is a big factor. If that number doesn't get smaller fast enough for you, which knowing you it won't, don't give up. Baby steps will get you to where you need to be. Lots of love and support are coming your way!

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home